This DIY will be particularly appreciated by ombre enthusiastics, who like myself, destroyed the tip of their hair trying fun colors over the past months. The concoction is easy, fast and cheap (less than $5) to make and will bring those damaged ends back to life! I didn’t come up with this recipe, David Suzuki’s Queen of Green recently published a very useful pdf with all kinds of other DIY haircare home recipes (it even includes a dog shampoo!) All recipes are eco-friendly, free of all kinds of parabens, petrochemicals and synthetic fragrances. I don’t know about you, but this makes me want to open up my cupboards and start experimenting!
What you need:
- 1 avocado (the softer the better)
- ½ cup mayonnaise or coconut milk
*Shelf life: up to 1 week in fridge.
For those into natural products, I also found interesting facts about the benefits of some natural ingredients in homemade cosmetics:
- Avocado: packed with protein and natural oils rich in Vitamins A and B
- Aloe juice or gel: excellent moisturizer that enhances and accelerates skin cell growth
- Chai, Black, or Peppermint tea: enhance hair colour in herbal tea shampoos (for brunettes)
- Chamomile or Calendula tea: enhance hair colour in herbal tea shampoos (for blondes)
- Coconut Oil: Skin moisturizer, hair conditioner and styling aid. Great barrier preventing loss of moisture from the skin or hair.
- Lemon juice: natural astringent that opens pores and restores the pH balance of oily skin
- Lavender: antiseptic toner (great for oily skin)
- Nettle: stimulates hair growth
- Sweet Almond Oil: Easily absorbed body and facial moisturizer. Revives skin, will not clog pores and promotes healthy skin.
- Witch hazel: natural astringent and toner
To learn more, click here.